I’d say that a hot and tasty soup is the perfect companion during a stormy weather. And you can’t go wrong with Tortilla Soup.
You will definitely enjoy all the veggie goodness and the crunchiness of Tortillas with this soup. Don’t you just want to thank Mexico for their delicious dishes?
- chicken - 5-6 lbs
- chicken broth - 1 quart
- stewed tomatoes - 1 quart
- bay leaves - 3
- red potatoes - 2 1/2 lbs, diced with skin
- yellow onion - 1 diced
- jalapeno - 1 large size
- yellow squash - 2 1/2 lbs, sliced into thick rounds
- zucchini - 2 1/2 lbs, sliced into thick rounds
- comino - 3 tbsp
- pepper - 1 tsp
- salt - 1 1/2 tbsp
- old bay - 1 tbsp
- tomato paste - 2 tbsp
- For Garnish : -
- corn tortillas -
- avocado -
- queso quesadilla -
- cilantro -
- lime wedges -
- Put the chicken in a large stock pot breast side down and cover with water. Boil for about 30 minutes until cooked through. Allow the chicken to cool. Remove from the water and pick apart the meat from the bones.
- Strain the water in the pot to remove any bits of skin and bone. Return the meat to the pot with the water. Bring to a boil and add the chicken stock, stewed tomatoes, bay leaves, potatoes, onion, and jalapeno (leave it whole).
- Cook for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are not quite fork tender.
- Add all the seasonings, tomato paste and the squash. Simmer until the squash is cooked through, adding seasoning to taste. Remove the jalapeno and bay leaves.
- While you are waiting on the soup prep the garnishes. Slice the tortillas in long strips about 1/2" wide.
- Fry in hot oil until crisp and drain on paper towels. Dice the cheese into small cubes and scoop chunks of avocado.
- To serve place a spoonful or so of cheese and avocado into each bowl.
- Ladle the hot soup over the top.
- Add a little chopped cilantro and a handful of tortilla strips.
- Serve with a wedge of lime and additional garnishes on the side.
Chef Jason Hill searches L.A. for an authentic Tortilla Soup, check out this vid!
Recommended Best Sellers
Pyrex 6022369 Storage 14-Piece Round Set, Clear with Blue Lids
Pyres 14-Piece Clear Glass Storage Set Since 1915, experienced cooks and beginners alike have reached for Pyrex glassware products. It all started with our glass bakeware... read more →
Prices are accurate as of May 23, 2013 7:24 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Not Starving Lets Eat