This recipe could become one of your staples - Southern Corn Bread. To make it even richer, you can just add a little more sugar, egg, bacon bits, onions, chili powder, or even grated cheese. But we’re going to go the traditional route with this one. Corn bread goes well with soup for a hearty breakfast!
- yellow cornmeal - 1 cup
- all purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- salt - 1 tsp
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- buttermilk - 1 cup
- egg - 1
- bacon grease - 1/4 cup
- Place a greased cast iron skillet in the oven. Set to 400 degrees to preheat.
- Combine the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl combine the buttermilk, egg, and bacon grease.
- Add wet to dry mixture, mix well.
- Carefully remove the preheated skillet from the oven and pour in the batter.
- Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing, it will come away from the pan easier.
- Cut with a sharp knife and run knife along the edge to loosen.
Check out this video by hilahcooking.com
Recommended Best Sellers
Pyrex 6022369 Storage 14-Piece Round Set, Clear with Blue Lids
Pyres 14-Piece Clear Glass Storage Set Since 1915, experienced cooks and beginners alike have reached for Pyrex glassware products. It all started with our glass bakeware... read more →
Prices are accurate as of May 21, 2013 12:28 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Not Starving Lets Eat