This one’s a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or any other holiday celebrations, especially in the South- Collard Greens with Red Onions!
Health Facts! Collard Greens are very low in calories and have zero cholesterol. They contain high amount of dietary fibers too that is good for the intestinal tract. These leafy veggies contain anti-cancer properties and folates. The all-important vitamin C is also there as well as vit. A and other anti-oxidants. It has high levels of vitamin – K that promotes increase of bone mass.
- collard greens - 3 packs, 16 oz
- red onions - 2 medium-size, finely chopped
- vegetable oil - 2 tbsp
- vegetable broth - 2 1/2 cups
- cider vinegar - 1/4 cup
- dark brown sugar - 2 tbsp
- salt - 1 1/2 tsp
- red pepper - 1/2 tsp, dried and crushed
- Trim and discard thick stems from bottom of collard green leaves. Thoroughly wash collard greens.
- Sauté onions in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add broth and then, cider vinegar, dark brown sugar, salt and red pepper.
- Gradually add collards to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or just until wilted.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 hour or until tender.
- You can also add tofu or bacon bits!
There are many types of Collard Green Recipes, and here’s one from keithcookstv
Recommended Best Sellers
Pyrex 6022369 Storage 14-Piece Round Set, Clear with Blue Lids
Pyres 14-Piece Clear Glass Storage Set Since 1915, experienced cooks and beginners alike have reached for Pyrex glassware products. It all started with our glass bakeware... read more →
Prices are accurate as of June 19, 2013 9:45 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Not Starving Lets Eat