A traditional Southern dish, Chicken Fried Steak, is not a chicken recipe, but rather an easy to prepare beef dish. It is called as such because of its similarity in preparing fried chicken. For the steak, we will need a cube steak which is a cut of beef tenderized by fierce pounding with a meat mallet. And of course, milk makes up for the white gravy. Best served with Mashed Potatoes.
- For the steak: -
- cube steaks - 2
- egg - 1, beaten
- flour -
- olive oil - 4 tbsp
- salt and pepper -
- For the white gravy: -
- milk - 3/4 cup, heated
- steak drippings -
- flour - 5 tbsp
- Season flour with salt and pepper.
- Dredge steak in flour, then in egg, then in flour again.
- Heat oil in skillet.
- Place steaks in skillet and fry on each side until brown and crisp.
- Remove from pan and reserve oil and drippings
For White Gravy:
- While drippings are still hot, stir in a few tablespoons flour and make a good roux.
- Gradually stir in some heated milk with a whisk.
- Never stop whisking so not to cause lumps, add milk until you get your consistency desired.
- If too thick whisk in more milk slowly.
- If it is too thin whisk in more flour slowly.
- Serve steaks covered in gravy.
Recommended Best Sellers
Pyrex 6022369 Storage 14-Piece Round Set, Clear with Blue Lids
Pyres 14-Piece Clear Glass Storage Set Since 1915, experienced cooks and beginners alike have reached for Pyrex glassware products. It all started with our glass bakeware... read more →
Prices are accurate as of May 24, 2013 4:52 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Not Starving Lets Eat